Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Saturday, January 26, 2013

new clothes for the kitchen appliances

Here is a partial preview of the changes I've made to our kitchen and breakfast area part that I am claiming as more kitchen space.  

I moved this white armoire into the breakfast area for more storage and
for a place for the 2 biggest appliances to sit.
I would like to have cabinets added to this room but for several reasons- that is just not going to happen right now.

Manuela at The Cultivated Nest recently bought a similar white cabinet for her kitchen and that gave me the idea to move this armoire into our breakfast area.
It was originally in our daughter's bedroom when she was a teen but has not really been used for much since she moved out.

Using something we already had saved us at least $600 and so much time too.  

I didn't like the way the appliances were sitting out in the open so I sewed up some  new clothes for them.
I made all 3 this morning after doing my measuring last night.
I used some  natural colored  heavy muslin for all 3.
Then I thought they looked too plain so I added some iron on letters.
The mixer cover says MIX
the toaster over says TOAST and the bread machine says KNEAD.  

I had these iron on letters in my sewing room too.
My children used to made shirts with phrases ironed on and  all the extra letters were left here.
Since some of the letters had been used for other projects,  I had to be a little creative and could not put BREAD on the that machine as there were no Bs left.  

My measurements
and how I made the pattern.
I just measured the appliances and then added seam allowances.
No lining or quilting on these- just simple muslin slip covers~
that were simple to make and made totally with things on hand.

For sure- a Make,  Do and Mend project.


Linking to
Sunny Simple Sunday 
and 
a really fun sewing blog I recently visited

14 comments:

  1. I loved your idea of using the armoire for kitchen storage. I'm pinning that.

    Stopped by from Sunny Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice! I love the clothes and their labels! And the dresser is perfect for more storage!

    My desk (photo at the very bottom of my blog) is actually in a breakfast nook attached to the kitchen. We don't need another eating table there, so I claimed it for something other than it's original purpose, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't comment much anymore because I'm on e-mail feed, but goodness I had to comment on these three posts! Your kitchen clothes sewing is beautiful as well as practical and your spice jar idea is great! The pork chops looks yummy; I just bought quite a few at 1.99/ lb. I'll look that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all just tooooo cute!!! Love all the new clothes you have whipped up for the kitchen. Moving the cabinet was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, your appliance covers look so elegant and professionally made. You just gave me inspiration for a weekend project. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, I love these new clothes you made! I like the "new" cabinet in the breakfast room as well. I have a cabinet in my kitchen and I just love the extra storage since my kitchen is tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't what I can add to the previous comments. I also think the new clothes are very nice and unify the room. I really like the iron on letters and you did very well with coming up with names because of missing letters. Who says bedroom furniture can't be used in other rooms? This piece fits very nicely in that spot and is perfect for storage. That is like the small hutch I now have in the kitchen but used to have it in the bathroom at the other house. I really, really need it in the kitchen here, and no room in this bathroom. Good work, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving your appliance covers! I love how you put the function on the covers...mix, toast, knead. Very clever and cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks wonderful, Rhonda, I like the armoire and the clothes that you made.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhonda - how creative! Love the appliance covers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The appliance "clothes" are such a cute touch!

    The cabinet looks great three and looks like it stores quite a bit.

    Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your appliance covers. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhonda - you're so clever! I have all my big appliances in my laundry room because I have no cabinet top space for them. I think that's a great idea, even if they are in the laundry room - that's where everyone comes in and they get dusty. Hmmm... will have to do some thinkin' on this project - yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome! I love that you used a basic fabric, and that you put the name on the cover. The name adds an extra touch! A couple years ago I made one for my toaster, but I need to make some for my other appliances.
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!