Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Beans, Skirts and Baking

More projects from Monday


I made a huge batch of crockpot refried beans.


I soaked 6 cups of pinto beans overnight,  then put them in a 6 quart crockpot and covered them with water.  
You can cook 1 cup of beans for each quart capacity of your crockpot.  


Seasoned them with 
2 T chili powder
2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
about a dozen jalapeno slices
and about 1 cup chopped onion.
Let them cook high - about 5 hours or so- until tender.
Then add salt to pepper to taste
Get out the food processor and process the beans in batches, adding 6 T of butter for the whole batch and enough bean juice to keep them smooth and with a soft consistency.
You can leave out the butter but they won't be creamy like we like them.  

These are so much tastier than canned refried beans!  
cheaper and less salty too.  



Refried beans freeze beautifully too!  We ate some for supper last night and then I froze the rest in meal size containers.




Sewing project

My daughter had both this striped maxi skirt that she likes and a strapless dress she did not like.  
She asked if I could make the dress into a skirt.
No problem!
I used the striped skirt as a guide and cut off the top the dress.
Then I used part of that to make a  new waistband and inserted some elastic.  

The striped skirt has a wider fold-over waistband but I could not copy it as the purple fabric is softer and stretchier and would not have the same support. 


Now daughter have 2 maxi skirts!


My husband put on this shirt to wear to church on Sunday but it had a bad grease stain down the front. I rewashed it but it did not come clean.
It was really faded and worn in spots so it needed discarded anyway.

Before I threw it out,  I cut off all the buttons.
I sew blouses for my self and this is enough buttons for 2 blouses.

I have a drawer full of buttons but finding matching buttons for a blouse is a trick sometimes.
So put all these on a safety pin
now they are ready when I make some fall blouses.  

Baking 

 I made some small yeast buns, filled them with sausage patties and froze for future breakfasts.
A store in my town had sausage on sale last week,  I stocked up- got 28 pounds at $1.99 a pound for Potters whichs is a very good brand.


And I baked 3 small loaves of bread.  
I used a bread machine to mix and knead both batches.  

I don't always do quite this many things in one day but I had lots of accomplish Monday as I expected to have 3 of my grandchildren here today.  
But plans changed and just one is here.
She is watching some TV and I am catching on some blogs.  
We will do some crafts and cooking later. 

what are you doing today?  -I would love to know




1 Peter 1  

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,
“All people are like grass,

    and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;

the grass withers and the flowers fall,

25 
    but the word of the Lord endures forever.”



And this is the word that was preached to you.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda! I make crockpot "refried" beans all the time, but use chicken stock/broth (or part stock, part water) when cooking the beans.
    Today I picked 8 bell peppers from the garden and made a stuffed pepper recipe for the freezer. I put three of them in the frig for supper one night this week, and the rest are in the freezer. For the grandboys I made taco muffins (corn muffin mix and taco meat) and cheesy broccoli rice cups. Those will go in the freezer, too. It's nice to have food at the ready when they're here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matching buttons on a safety pin... yes! That will save me the time and hassel of digging through the jar.

    Enjoy your Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your thrifty ways and hard work!

    I should try baking in my Pyrex. I usually use my metal and glass baking pans, but the Pyrex is so cute.

    I'm pinning your frijoles recipe. It sounds great and I do so love to have beans in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did have a full day. The beans sound delicious, thanks for the recipe of how to do a large batch.
    The dress to skirt looks terrific and I'm sure your daughter loves it. She's a lucky young woman to have a mom who can do this for her. I'm sue she knows it, too.
    Your bread looks delish! I may have to make some soon. The days are cooler now, so running the oven for an hour is not out of the question.
    I have been feeling particularly lousy today, so I did not accomplish much beyond making a good nourishing supper for hubby and I and doing a bit of fall decorating. Oh, and I made a sign that I will show on my blog Friday.
    I like your new blog, the name is catchy.
    Have a good week!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the bean recipe, I will have to try it. The guys would sure love to have the sausage sandwiches ready for breakfast. Is that Grandpas Bread? I still use that recipe. Do you also use it for the buns?

    Love the skirt redo. She will love it. Was the one lonely today without the others?

    You always wear me out with all you get done.

    This a.m. I cooked steaks and baked sweet potatoes so when I got home we could warm stuff up and go put rock around the pond at the dam. After we did that I burnt trash while Allen got gas in the car and he fed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I have been using a different bread recipe and just posted it.
      You wear me out with all you and working a full time job too!

      Delete
  6. Rhonda...you sure were busy :) Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. It is good to make do and mend as much as possible. Amazing what you can achieve when you focus on this.

    Be blessed!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have found you again Rhonda! I have been looking for a good refried bean recipe, I am definitely trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will definitely try this for refried beans. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this refried beans recipe. I tried making some, using a different recipe, the other day. Good, not wow! which is what I am looking for. I'll give your version a go next time. A blog reader of mine suggested your recipe to me, giving it rave reviews

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!