Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thanksgiving lunch at the garage

My husband's division has just one party a year- a very low key lunch  with a Thanksgiving theme.
And it was today.  

I fixed green beans and a double batch of hot rolls that were still warm when we ate.  
Some were cloverleaf and some were just round- all the same recipe though





Because this dinner is literally in a garage at the workday lunch hour,
 everything is very low key.
I take my  food in  non-breakable containers as the guys seem nervous if things are too fancy.  

I wanted to take a simple dessert as I knew there would be a chocolate trifle and a cherry cheesecake and some icky grocery store cupcakes 
(some of his co-workers bring the exact same thing year after year)  
So I baked a new recipe today, they were simple, delicious and a recipe I will make again.  
They are very much like those 7 Layer Bars or Hello Dollies that use graham cracker crumbs and sweetened condensed milk and I rarely have those ingredients on  hand  
But I do usually have all the ingredients this new recipe calls for in my pantry/fridge.

Also,  the recipe says it makes 12 but I used my older muffin pans that I think are a little smaller than newer muffin pans.  
I got 18 nice sized cookie muffins from one recipe.  
I think this smaller size makes are a  good serving as they are a rich dessert.
I may try making them in mini muffin pans next time.


my version of 
Magic Blondies 
2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut I used a geneous hand measuring this
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans  I used walnuts 
1 2/3 cups  flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons  butter, softened
1 cup  packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
 Line a 12-cup muffin tin (standard size) with paper liners; set aside.
Stir together coconut, chocolate and pecans; set aside.
Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low or by hand, stir in flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined. Mix in about a cup of the coconut mixture.
Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle remaining coconut mixture over tops and bake on center rack for about 25 minutes (or less if you make them smaller) or until a cake tester comes out with moist crumbs.

these are a sturdy dessert that would be good in a lunchbox too.  

I found this recipe on http://www.cookiemadness.net/  and she got it from Martha Stewart.


1 comment:

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!