Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Saturday, November 3, 2012

I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.....


I take my grandson to the library every week for story time and I've become friends with another grandmother who brings her granddaughter to the same class.
Last week,  she told me had been cleaning her sewing room and had " a bag " of scraps and would I like them.   Well I did laugh then and thanked her and said of course I would like them.

I got that bag from her
but it was not just A bag.......

it was 2 very big and heavy bags- stuffed so full that she had to tape them shut.
They are taller than the cushions on the couch and I think each bag weighed about the same as  my   3 year old grandson.  


this is what I kept from those 2 bags.
and I will be passing on the extras on our local FreeCycle list

I am by no -means fabric poor as I have got so much fabric from my mom
and a little fabric from local thrift stores.  
Still,  I found some goodies in those bags.  
I've been collecting fussy cut squares to make I Spy quilts for my grandchildren and there were quite a few prints in this assortment.  
That bag on the left is a 2 gallon bag with small quilt pieces already cut out.  
Most all the pieces I kept were scraps- there might be a few that were a yard or 2 long but mostly leftovers.  

I do like scrappy things but this was even a lot for me.  

If you guess that I am sewing on quilts or scrappy projects right now,  you would be wrong.  
I cut out 4 blouses for myself and will be sewing on them when I get done blogging.  

There is always something for my hands to find to do.........you too?  

13 comments:

  1. Oh Rhonda, I so would have taken the bags too. When thought once home, what are you thinking. But still they would have been placed with all the other scraps.

    Maybe as my live in meteorologist says, we are in for a very long and cold winter. God is helping you keep busy come winter;-)

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you. What a fun time you'll have with all of that. It's perfectly fine to laugh AND cry! It works for me!
    Have a great weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! I would have trouble saying no as well and then wonder why I took it all once I got it home. But I know you will put it to good use. I'd love to see the I spy quilts either finished or in process--I pinned an I Spy book tutorial a while ago which would be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a prize!!!! The new scraping things you can now make is endless, how fun for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww... what a gift! I might question my sanity once home, but when I was finished sorting it out I would be a happy girl. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how very, very nice! I'm glad you found some treasures...digging through all of that fabric was so fun, I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a haul! Can't wait to see the blouses you're making. I don't sew, but my hands like to cook, bake, scrapbook, paint furniture, and blog/type. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a lot of scraps! It's like looking for a treasure in those bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! That would be fun to dig thur others materail. So glad you were the one to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! I would have been happy to have those bags too. How fun to look through them and think about what projects they can be used for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Rhonda. What a blessing.
    XXOO
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what fun to go through bags of fabric scraps. I have been wanting to make a braided rug, that would be just the thing to find, now wouldn't it!? But I want a red and white one, so I should look for my own scraps, I suppose.
    I can certainly always find something to do if I try.
    Hugs, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful gift from this nice lady! I am sure you got lots of good fabric to use for all of your projects!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!