Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Thursday, November 29, 2012

23 Meals for $50 of Pork Loin

On Tuesday,  I bought 4 whole pork loins on sale for $1.69 a pound- the 4 loins cost about $50 total.

When my husband got off work,  he cooked 3 of them in his electric smoker.
He loves to smoke meat and used to have a big wood heated smoker but he switched to an electric one and he likes it so much better.

Theo,  waiting for the smoked pork to cool- he knows he will get a few slices.


The smoked loins- cooling

My husband trims the loins before he cooks them
and covers them with a spice rub that I make.  

Sliced and bagged up for the freezer
those 3 loins made 17 meal size bags for us.


We like to have this loin with a little Head Country Barbecue sauce on homemade buns.
I try to keep homemade buns in the freezer along with smoke pork and this is our Go-To meal for busy days.
It really is quicker it heat up the pork and toast some buns than to drive somewhere to get a bag of burgers.


With the other whole loin,  I used this recipe for Chipotle Pork,  cooked in the crock pot.
I cooked the meat pretty much like the other blogger said.
It turned out tender and shredded so easy.
From that pork loin,  I dished up 6 meal size portions.  We heated up the one in the Pyrex bowl for last nights supper.  and froze the rest for future easy meals.
this filling is good but we like spicy things.  When I make it again,  I will double the spices.
We usually have a pack of store bought tortillas in the pantry but I guess I have not bought any in awhile.
So,  I looked on line for a recipe- looking for soft flour tortillas.  I found a recipe that uses coconut oil and that blogger said the coconut oil is what makes them easy to roll out.  I followed her recipe exactly.
She was right,  I've made (and fought) with tortillas, trying to roll them out thin and it has always been hard and very time consuming.  These coconut oil ones rolled out super easy and very thin.
I prefer the store bought flour tortillas but will keep this recipe for when we want burritos and don't have store ones.


linking up with Think Tank Thursday 
a joint party hosted by 2 sister bloggers
and 

6 comments:

  1. Love this kind of stuff....easy, homemade meals stocked in the freezer! It just makes you feel great, doesn't it? I love pulling things like this out on a busy day...or The Mister can if I work an auction. Your pork looks great! and Theo is too cute there waiting so patiently! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! This should last you for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great buy!! I love having meals put back for those busy days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way Theo sits and waits, lol.

    I think I'm putting tortilla and English muffin making on my list of things to do next year. I have so many things I could put on my lists! Whoever said this 'job' of homemaking was dull and boring obviously was not doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to stretch that $1.69/lb pork loin into so many meals. I always buy it when I find it for that price too. It doesn't go quite as far in my house with these teenage boys!!
    Thanks for sharing this at Think Tank Thursday. We hope to see you again tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!