Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Friday, October 19, 2012

here we go again!

 
I am sorry to not of kept up blogging about 31 days of thrift.  I am still being thrifty -just don't have the time and energy to blog about it all. 
 
The big news here,  and one that is frankly hard for me to believe and accept, is that my husband will be getting another total knee replacement to replace the total knee replacement he got 3 years ago that was supposed to last for 30 years. 
 
 
my husband  with his Make Do and Mend
someone somewhere is Making his knee joint
The surgeon will Do surgery
and my husband will Mend while he does lots of physical therapy.
 
Ugh! 
My husband is a Marine,  no longer on active duty obviously and is considered a disabled veteran with service connected injuries to both knees. 
He had his first surgery on his left knee just one year ago. 
This knee replacement replacement will be the 7th surgery to his right knee. 
 
 
I knew he was having problems and too much pain but I was not expecting another major surgery. 
He has just about enough sick leave at his job that should cover this surgery but it is impossible to bank up sick leave when you have 3 surgeries in 3 years. 
 
Anyway,  I know I sound grumpy here.  I know so many people has much worse conditions this. 
But all this has made me weary. 
 
I told myself yesterday that I was done with pouting and spent the day cooking and cleaning and getting lots done.   That is what I plan to keep on doing until we find out his surgery date and can make more plans.  (the VA said in about 2-3 months,  )
 
 
 
Ironically,  there is some thrift in this - My husband is one of the rare people with 2 sets of health coverage.  His surgery will be at a VA hospital and he is also insured by his employer so his employer will pick up part of the cost.  Our only out -of- pocket will be my travel back and forth and my meals and such while we are away from home. 
 
 
thank you for listening-
I'll be back with a happier face and more homemaking very soon!
  
 

10 comments:

  1. I think I would be a little down about it all too. Three years is not anywhere close to 30. I imagine that it is a painful recovery. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO sorry you hubby has to have surgery again. Try to keep your chin up. I'm sending prayers & positive thoughts your way.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you told us what is happening. I had wondered if you were just going to quit blogging.
    (please don't).
    I will be praying for you and asking God to help you keep a positive attitude. (It's hard sometimes to do that)
    My Mom had 3 hip replacements and 2knee replacements while she lived with me.
    It can get you down.
    God knows what you can bare and he won't give you "too much"
    Blessings to you, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you mind adding a disclaimer for the photo? I was unprepared and suffered some nausea. Thank you in advance!! My neighbor just had one so I guess now I know what her knee looks like :-x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These types of things just kind of get thrown at us, don't they? Praying for peace and strength for you as you walk this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! My dh is having total knee replacement of his right knee in November! I hope both our DHs do well. I am dreading it, but he is in so much pain and is having a hard time walking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you can get it done soon and he can start feeling better! Make sure and let us know! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Rhonda, you have every right to be down about this. The VA is a great place and then again it sucks big time. If it was not so sad about all the surgeries it would almost be laughable. Are they practicing on him?? Sorry, bad VA joke. We go around and around with them in regards to the Mr's prostate. Another biopsy, but not until December...they are backlogged like you would not believe.

    Maybe Grandma needs a big hug from those grandbabies!!!!

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that leg looks so painful. I sympathize with you and your husband and I'm happy there are some silver linings in the whole scenario. I pray all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very sorry to hear of your husbands ongoing knee problems. I completely understand it, having gone through three knee replacement related surgeries with my daughter. You are blessed that the costs are minimal for you, I am very glad to hear that.
    It's hard to see your husband down physically and in pain, though, I know.
    But through it all, God is GOOD!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!