Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I don't think I could run out of projects if I tried

I got to thinking today that I would like to make a few mug rugs.  
Then I remembered a box of pieced things I brought back from my mom.  In August,  I helped her organize and clean out a lot of her sewing things and clothing.  
She still has enough supplies to stock a small quilt store.

But we threw away things,  put things  aside for their yardsale and I brought back 5 tubs
including 2 tubs of fabric and a lot of notions.

one is this tub full of pieced things
I was sorting at her house so fast and really did not remember what all I got.
I thought I could find a few pieces to use for the bases of a few mug rugs so I got this tub out of the craft room closet   
well.......


this box looks pretty simple doesn't it?  
but look what is inside......

double knit baby quilt size top- needs a backing and finished off

flannel baby quilt- just needs a binding

red and green log cabin blocks

double knit big quilt top

hand pieced even!
my mom did not make this,  I think my dad got it at a yard sale or maybe from their church thrift store

another baby quilt size top

probably twin size- top  only half is showing in the picture

probably twin or sofa size top
I think my Aunt Evelyn pieced this one

another scrappy quilt top - maybe full size

very scrappy blocks, about 3 inch squares- maybe a full size top

Bow tie top

the bow tie has this sticker on it,  any idea what it means?
I think my dad brought it home too

some fancy blocks I am sure my mom pieced

single quilt blocks - I think these came from an estate sale from a school teacher in my hometown

a big piece of 2 shades of denim- nicely pieced together in stripes for a quilt back maybe

12 of these dark shades blocks

many many 9 patch blocks- all colors


also some embroidered pieces 
Home Sweet Home
just needs framed

partially done cross stitch  tablecloth
it has some spots on it so I won't be finishing it as a tablecloth,  maybe as pillow shams?  

and even more 9 patch blocks!


So where do I start?
or should I just put the lid on the box and put it all back into the closet?



17 comments:

  1. What wonderful treasures! The pieces made by your mother and finished by you would be make great gifts for members of your family.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title of the post! I have enough to last me also but nothing like your great finds! You do have several items that will make such nice gifts and will so appreciated knowing that both your mom and you made them. Have fun creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A box of treasure for sure! I see wonderful Christmas gifts.

    I know what you mean about not running out of projects. The list seems to never end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a treasure trove of beautifulness in that tote! I vote for finishing some of those quilt tops and giving them for Christmas. (You have my mailing address, right?) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda! SO MANY THINGS! And all are really treasures! I would have NO IDEA where to start!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lucky lady you. I would love to find 'close to the finish' quilt tops. I would start with framing that beautiful stitched work, and then start, one by one, on the quickest top to finish. Maybe one or two a month. Lots of gifts or charity quilts you have there. The double knits are indestructible I believe, so I would just put a backing (no batting) and use those for picnics or tent making for the grandbabies.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooo, don't put the lid back on! I am laughing, because I have bunches of cross stitch projects that need to be completed. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure box you have dug into!! DO NOT put the lid back on, call a team of gals and put everyone to work. You could donate the ones you don't like to charity and gift the others to family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you will make some soul happy by finishing some of those quilts. I agree to start with what is closest to being finished. That sticker looks to me like a price tag from a garage sale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you Rhonda on this. I never get bored. I have way too much to do. :)
    XXOO
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowee, that was fun to see all of that! I've had a long time off the blogs, and am just now kind of getting back into it. Thanks for your comment about the biscuits - they were GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure box! Pull one thing out at a time and finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a box of gorgeous treasure. One day I will make my own quilt. I have the fabric I just need to buy time in a bottle lol

    Enjoy your new stash x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! 5 tubs filled with wonderful stuff. I love the Home Sweet Home piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhonda - t had great success in soaking an antique needlework cloth with big spots on it with oxyiclean. I used cold water and let it soak for 24 hours. Then I washed in the machine. It came out beautifully! You have lots of treasures there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Carol's idea - finish those off and give them to family members. You've got a treasure chest there - not a plastic tub!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know what? I'm in the same boat/ or TUB! lol...
    I have lots of things that my MIL didn't finish, rather than toss them out, I decided to bring them home so I could finish them and give them as gifts. It's been 3 years, haven't done that yet. But, like you, I'll not run out of things to do 'craft-wise'!
    I don't think you should pack it up and put it away. But leave it in a covered area, under a table with a cloth or something.
    Pick on piece and do something with it. Then when that is finished. Pick another. Work on one article at a time. OR... decide what piece will be for which family member, and work according to birthdays on the calendar!

    Ok! now...I'm off to make my own chart, and follow my own advice!!! (cause that was a good idea!)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!