Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Thursday, April 4, 2013

a little mending


Just a little time spent at the sewing machine with big results............love doing projects like these!
I got this Coldwater Creek blouse at a rummage sale for $1.
It is like new and just my style,
but the fancy long sleeves were too long and too fancy.
So,  I just cut them off, ironed up the edge twice into a narrow hem
and machine stitched down the hem.  

the fancy cuffs - removed
I think they would of really been in the way when I am washing dishes or  changing diapers.  


My son wore this shirt here for Easter.
It is a really nice shirt, and just his style.
He bought it at a deep discount as a second.
I noticed a cut on the back of the shirt.
So he left the shirt here and I put a patch on the inside,


the patch
just a little square of white fabric
machine stitched on the inside of the shirt.  


the back of the shirt- after the repair.
I know where the patch is but I don't expect anyone else will ever notice.



a hand towel after a repair
Our towels seem to wear out too fast.
This one had a frayed side, so I trimmed off the frayed part and then  sealed up the raw edge with a  zig zag stitch.
No, it does not look good as new but it will be fine for now.  

The front of the towel
at least you can't see the repair job from the front.


These jobs all took about 15 minutes total.
 Since they are  all  sewn with white,  I didn't even have to change the  thread or bobbin in between jobs.  

Linking to 
The Charm of Home

8 comments:

  1. I have a basket full of things that need mending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I need to sit down and take care of some mending soon. It is one of those jobs I tend to put off and then when I do it I wonder why I didn't do it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so handy! Job well done!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the repairs! Love your blouse and the towel trim...cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you mended your son's shirt....something I did not know...wow. My mending gets avoided for as long as possible, sadly.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a basket full of clothes just waiting for this kind of project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the mending. I do not like long sleeves either and have several shirts that I need to cut and trim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever fixes on the mending! Like the print on your shirt.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!