Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Monday, November 19, 2012

A little tweak

 Because I am not what you would call tall 
and because we have grand children that want to reach things up high,  
we have several step stools - one is almost every room I think.  

These were old Rubbermaid country blue plastic stools,  useful but ugly.  

So,  I used the last of my can of Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint on them.  
I've used used regular spray paint on plastic with good results and this Rustoleum says it is for plastic so it should hold up just fine.  



Before 
what those step stools looked like before



After 
lined up in front of the sink so the preschoolers can stand on them
 and reach the sink when they wash up or brush their teeth 
More of the bathroorm

The stools can stack and be out the way
when the preschoolers are not here

the paint I used.
I got mine at Lowes but I hear Walmart sells it  too.
It is more expensive but it covers well and more than  lower cost paint.
Just be sure to clean off the nozzle,  like it says to,
or you might be trying to clean off the nozzle with a  sewing pin like I had too.  


Linked to Brenda's party at

10 comments:

  1. I love spray paint! Your little stools came out great-they look so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love the way your decorated your bathroom and the bright punch of yellow.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same blue stool in my bathroom. I always think how ugly it is and how it clashes with the bathroom. I guess I know what I will be doing soon. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have one of those blue stools! I have no idea what happened to it! Those look so much better! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea! I think the pink one I have in the bathroom needs a makeover now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aha! I have two stools like yours, but in white (or they used to be, now they just look awful). I've tried cleaning/scrubbing them, but they still look dirty on their tops...now I know what to use on them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing what a little paint can do? The stools look so much better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing what a little bit of paint can do for the small projects around the house. I found that out this week.
    I tweaked a step stool too! but I just used plain ol' interior latex semi-gloss. LOL...
    via CHL (tweak it tues)-Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I've never used regular spray paint on plastic only the special made for plastic spray paint. But you're right - it does say plastic on it. I have some ugly plastic garden pots I'll try this on.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!