Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Your advice requested - paint or stain or ?


Several weeks ago I saw this coffee bar on Pinterest.  It is by a blogger called The Vintage Wren,  she says this picture on Pinterest has got her blog more traffic than any other post.  
We are not what you would call coffee lovers but we do have 3 hot beverage makers.
One is for tea- hot and cold.
One is for big pots of coffee, especially when we have company.
The 3rd is a K-Cup brewer,  husband mostly  uses it for his weekend coffee.
My kitchen is not really tiny but 3 brewers take up a lot of counter space and I have been looking for a better way to keep them set up. 
When I saw that picture of the Vintage Wren's coffee bar,  for some reason I thought the spot where our refrigerator sat would be perfect for it.  Husband said it was possible to move the fridge over to the other side of the enclosure, so I did!  no big deal really,  the thing is on wheels. 

Then I started looking for a base for my coffee bar.  We shopped at several stores in my town one weekend but did not find any pieces of furniture that would fit in that hole and were sturdy enough.

So last weekend, we shopped at Lowes and found this floor model ready made oak cabinet base on clearance even!  
It fit the space perfectly so we brought it right home.
Husband cut a board for the top of it and screwed it on.

We have it sort of set up but the wood need finished and of course that top needs finished too.  

So I need your advice......



our kitchen cabinets are oak and I have no plans to change them.
our appliances are white,  I like them and have no plans to change them either.
I would like to change out the formica on the countertops but don't know to what.  

See that stack of drawers right in front of our new coffee bar?
When the fridge was in that place,  the door would not open all the way, it would hit that drawer stack.
So it really is in a better place.  

The kitchen does not have much color in it but I like color.

So, should  we stain this new cabinet and try to match the existing cabinets?
or should we stain it darker so it looks more like  piece of furniture?

or should we paint it a color?  I've considered red or sage green or even black.
DIL says it should be white to match the appliances.
For the top,  I think husband will do a tile top,  depending the finish we choose.  
I already have a long shelf with hooks on it to hang above the coffee makers to hold cups and such.  
It is currently painted red but that can be changed.  



look at all that storage in this cabinet and it has 2 drawers too!
Who could not use more storage in their kitchen?

So,  I am ready to finish up this project and put some kitchen things in the cabinet.

I beg for your opinions.

stain, paint, what color?

9 comments:

  1. Since you have white appliances & knobs on your cabinets I think you should paint the new cabinet white.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is that you paint it whatever color you like, then have a black top. Painting it white will make it look like one of your appliances, I think, and it will get lost if you stain it to match your current cabinet color.
    I look forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought is to stain, but it is so hard to match stain. If I were to paint it I would paint it look like a nice piece of furniture. I am sure whatever you decide it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am anxious to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote paint it sage green. Green is a restful color and you could match some pretty tiles for the top to a sage green very easily. I think it would make it look like a hutch in the kitchen. Matching stain is very difficult but painting it white would make it look like yet another appliance. Then you could paint the rack with hooks to match with the same green.

    We have a beautiful drainboard here that has sage green specks in it which Jos and I love. That would add color to the kitchen if you could change your drainboard to something like that. Sometimes the smallest changes can make a difference.

    Glad you have found you again. I had no idea you started a new blog. I am so glad you commented on mine so I could stop in.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, here is my two cents and so not like the others. I would stain to match the existing cabinets if it were my kitchen. I am alllll for color, but you will need, in my opinion, to paint the whole section. The new cabinet, the existing cabinet above, plus the side part, I feel to make it look like a piece of furniture. To my eye, the top trim then would not match with the rest. Am I making sense? If you want to add color, I would just paint that one wall that the coffee bar, fridge etc. are up against. That would be much easier to repaint, if you decide you do not like it.

    Have a great weekend;-)
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, I have been thinking of your coffee bar all day. I think I would go with a neutral color like black or white with a wax stain over it to blend in with your floor an cabinets. And, I like the idea of painting that part of the wall but just that tiny part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what it would look like if it were painted black with a Black/gray faux granite top or ceramic tiles and the rack would be black and a pop of color (your accent color-barn red or sage green, whatever you favor)on the backdrop. Can't wait to see it. MeginKS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm new here today - just blog hopping - I vote painted in a color - If you look at some magazines, they are doing alot of free-standing-looking cabinets like different pieces in the kitchen. Sometimes they even have feet on them. I think a color would make it pop out and you'd have an interesting piece of furniture there with a tile/stone top on it - AND it would draw you to the new coffee bar. There's my two cents! I love your blog, by the way...

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!