Green, Frugal and Easy!
The bottom sheets on our bed are older but still fine- except for the elastic in the corners that has lost all its stretch. So they may pop off in the night and that makes for a very uncomfortable way to wake up.
I shopped online to buy new sheets but did not see anything I just loved. I like old fashioned percale sheets- and don't want those gauzy 200 count sheets, or microfiber sheets or those luxury high count sheets. We've had 2 sets of those thread count sheets and they did not wear well at all, the threads popped and gave them an all over snagged look.
Anyway, it dawned me that I could just try to replace that worn elastic.
So, last week, I added new elastic to the sheets after I laundered them. It literally just took 15 minutes.
Those sheets have been used almost a week and are staying tucked under perfectly!
Since the first project was success, I decided to repair the rest of the sheets that needed it.
|When I looked in the linen cabinet for the red print set, I discovered there was a 3rd set of queen sheets, that fit our bed, also needing elastic.|
from the right side
|You want the elastic to look like this, with gathers, so it will curve around the under corner of the mattress.|
from the wrong side
that is some worn out, sad looking elastic on the corner of this sheet.
To repair the elastic, you need 4 pieces of elastic- I used 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch because that is what I already had- and cut each length about 1 foot long.
Then pin the center of each strip of elastic to the corner of your sheet.
Now, holding the center of the corner, stretch one end about 6 more inches and pin.
Then machine sew- stretching the elastic as you sew.
|then, pulled tight whiled I sewed.|