Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pantry challenge Jan 1st


many banana nut muffins
frozen in plastic containers that will be washed and reused- a better choice than freezer bags,
especially when there is room in the freezer for the containers.  

Breakfast- cereal and orange juice for husband
I had banana muffins.  I used 5 very ripe bananas to make a double batch of banana bread- it made 48  mini muffins and 17 regular muffins.  Most went in the freezer for future meals and snacks.  My grandchildren will enjoy the mini muffins and my big kids will like the regular muffins.

Lunch- nachos and quesadillas while we watched our town's university play in their bowl game.
Tortilla chips topped with Mexican cheese and diced jalapenos- broiled until the cheese melted.
Quesadillas- flour tortillas filled with leftover taco meat and Mexican cheese,  toasted on a griddle and cut into wedges.
both were served with lots of salsa.

Supper - what all  Southerners eat on New Years- blackeyed peas with rice and sauteed cabbage.  I will use the last of the Christmas ham to season the peas.
Ruby red grapefruit sections for dessert.  


In case you are wondering where I am starting from on this pantry challenge  -we have plenty of stuff!  
this is our pantry,  it is hard to get a good photo 

the freezer inventory wrote up a few days ago
it is not exact but it is close.

Today was easy- just 30 more to go!


linking up to the party
at
Walking Redeemed

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really fun challenge! Love your pantry...having a stocked, organized one just gives you a good feeling, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my goals this week - to do a pantry challenge. I need to clean out my freezer and see what lurks in there, for one thing. Then I need to come up with some dinner ideas based on what we have. I wish I had a nice, big pantry like yours. I only have cabinets to rely on, but I do have metal shelving units in the unfinished part of the basement where I keep most of my canned and dried goods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pantry is all nice and tidy ready for this challenge. I need to get mine whipped into shape. Looking forward to this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all those banana muffins. Yum!

    There is nothing so calming as having a neat pantry and knowing where everything is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your challenge! I will partially do this too but our pantry is not as stocked as yours :) Our freezer, on the other hand, is stocked nicely, so I hope, we will not have to buy any meat this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally sitting here wishing for a pantry like that! What a blessing to have such a rich storehouse to pull meals from! So glad you linked up last Wednesday at Walking Redeemed!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!