Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Grinding wheat and making bread

My parents gave us this vintage Vita-mix along with some wheat and corn at least a month ago
and today,  I finally got around to trying it.
Grand daughter pointing at the freshly ground flour.


That Vita-Mix may be old but it is certainly powerful.
It ground that wheat in less than 3 minutes even though the instruction book said it would take 4 or 5 minutes.  


Inside the container,  the flour was so moist that some of it stuck to the sides.
I read that not enough moisture in wheat could be a problem but my wheat seems to have plenty of moisture.  

Then,  I loaded the flour in the Zoyirushi bread machine along with water, salt, vital wheat gluten, yeast, sugar, butter and dry milk.
I let that machine do the mixing and kneading.
Whole wheat flour is heavier than white flour
 but this batch of  whole wheat dough raised just as high as plain white dough. 

With my grand daughter's "help"  we shaped the dough into sandwich bun rounds and let the rise.

my first pan of 100% whole wheat bread-
of course we had to taste one!

I expected to have to fiddle with this flour to get a good batch of bread
and am so pleased to of baked a delicious, soft  and light batch the first time.
I like them and they got the thumb's up from  my husband, daughter and son in law.
I hope it was not just "beginner's luck"  
anyone else grind wheat or have any advice for me?  

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I bet you felt so good to be able to make bread like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too grind wheat for bread and lots of baking. In some recipes I use 1/2 wheat, 1/2 white flour so the family won't turn their heads! Ha Wheat berries will last for years and years unlike white flour of wheat flour bought in the store. Your bread and rolls look sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am no help here, but I think that the vitamix did an amazing job. The newer ones, you need a seperate container to grind. Lovely results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's our next step - grinding our own wheat. I have a new Vitamix and it comes with a smaller container for grinding grain. Your rolls look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Rhonda! I've never done that before - your bread and rolls look great. I can almost smell 'em from here and I especially love that nice sheen from the butter on them!
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, your buns look wonderful! I think the key to making anything with whole wheat flour is to keep it moist, almost sticky. You just want enough flour in it so that a greased or floured finger doesn't stick to the dough. I have heard it compared to the sticky part of a post-it note. Whole wheat absorbs moisture slower than white flour does, so the dough needs to start out very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Rhonda, I have the same Vitamix! They do grind wheat very nicely :-) Your bread looks delicious. I use an old grinder, but never used the mix for wheat as of yet, but will the next time I bake. How many cups of wheat berries did you grind? It seems like you used over three cups to have so much leftover for sandwich bread and rolls...yum! :0)

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. m. that is cool that we have the same old Vitamixes. This model is really powerful, isn't it?
    I ground 2 batches of wheat, 2 cups in each batch and used all but about 2/3 cup of the flour to make this batch. I will post the recipe, after I make it a few times and am sure it is right.
    I only made that cookie sheet full of sandwich buns from that batch, no loaves yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do you get the wheat to grind? That is so cool...I bet the bread is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, it really is good and so much better than whole wheat flour from the grocery. I got my wheat from my parents but I have been doing some research on where to buy more when I run out. There is food coop in my state that looks like a good source as well as a Mennonite type stores about an hour away.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!