Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Soup!

It's been a very thrifty week at our home and cooking had a lot to with it.  We all like soup and I had ingredients so I made 2 batches.
Using some of that good fresh from the cow milk we get from our daughter in law,  one batch was potato cheese.
The other was vegetable beef using the last of Sunday's roast beef,  some beef broth and veggies from the freezer and a can of tomatoes.
Both soups used finely diced celery, onions and carrots so it was nice to do all that chopping at one time.

We had soup for supper one night.  I sent some to my daughter's house (their doberman has been in ICU at the university's vet hospital)  I heated it up for my lunch 3 days and my son came for lunch one day and he ate some too.


I bought 20 pounds of potatoes a while back,  they filled this big crock and I feared I had overbought and they would spoil before I used them all.  But nope,  we've enjoyed lots of potato dishes and they all go used.  
All those big brown potatoes were good but when I bought groceries yesterday,  
I only bought a 5 pound bag of little red potatoes.  


We are having a simple meal today too.  I made a big bowl of cole slaw this morning.  Pinto beans are cooking in the slow cooker and I've got the cornbread ingredients measured out and ready to mix up bake when we get home from church.  

Linking up to 
at Sunny Simple Life- 
and wow! 
was I surprised this morning to see my blog header on Sunny Simple Life
  my blog was one of the top 4 visited from Elaine's blog party last Sunday.
 Elaine's blog is one of my favorites- she is a happy homemaker blogging about her real life with lots of pretty pictures and good tips.  

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm soup... I will be making some this week as there is suppose to a snow flake or two mid week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup and could eat it every day. A while back when Hubby was gone for a few days I made some chicken noodle soup and that is what I ate every day. Also gave some of it to my dad. Soup really goes a long way and fills the tummy with warm goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soup - care to share your potato cheese recipe? Stopped by from Sunny Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love soup here, too. Eat a lot f it in the fall and winter. Your beans, coleslaw, and cornbread sound like a great meal to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with pinto's and corn bread!!! We love fall knowing it's soup eating days again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soup always sounds so good in the fall! We've had it several times already and it's easy to make in a thrifty way! Both of your kinds sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Rhonda,
    I make lots of soup in the winter too,'
    Have a wonderful day. I just got home from my Tag Class. I am going to settle in now for the day.
    XXOO
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!