Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Friday, February 8, 2013

Gender Neutral---- Ha!

Last night on the national news we watched was  a story about the push to make language
 "gender neutral"
They said some words were easy to change like 
penmanship should be called handwriting,  
firemen should be called firefighters.
Other words were harder to find a suitable substitute like manhole

I had just been shopping in the toddler department at Walmart and all I could think was
"ha!  where is this gender neutral activist group when it comes to marketing things to children?"


I needed to buy a trainer seat for the toilet for our grand children.  
One boy is fully trained, one girl is new to potty-training and is doing great, 
and we have 3 more grands (2 boys, 1 girl)  who start this when they are older.

So,  I just wanted a simple neutral seat that could be used by all the children and not look horrible in our bathroom.

I was so disappointed to see an entire endcap of bright color seats
all with licensed characters like Disney Princesses, Cars,  Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse-
all were very gender specific- and also way too bright and flashy for my decorating taste.

I was almost going to settle for Micky Mouse as he had a white background and was the least gender specific,
when I spotted on the bottom shelf
3 of these plain white cushy seats - decorated with just a few cute little yellow ducks.  
 It doesn't look too bad at all, does it?  
See that white loop on the center back?  
It can hang out of the way when not needed.  

I also needed to buy some pull ups for the older grands to wear when they sleep.  
I did not see any pull ups in any brand that were not gender specific- 
so we have Cars ones for the boy and Princess ones for the girl
but I would really prefer to just a neutral design that either could wear.


When my children were babies and toddlers,  baby things were usually aqua or yellow or mint green,  maybe all primary colors.  
Now it seems that everything for little ones is very princess pink or very boyish with trucks or sports, etc.

I am not trying to start a big discussion on whether gender neutral is a good  or bad thing for everything,

but I sure do wish the baby and children things for sale
were more practical, 
 less commercial 
and easy to use for multiple children.  

11 comments:

  1. Gender neutral language?!
    really?
    I'm fairly certain that isn't going to work.
    The potty seat is an interesting idea. Right now, I have an actual potty chair taking up about 1 square foot of my already small bathroom.
    the reason I keep it of course, is because we ONLY HAVE one bathroom...so when one has to go they all have to go!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would make things easier and be more practical to have some gender neutral choices when it comes to kids. That seat is pretty good since it's basically white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find! We have a light-green toilet seat for kids...who happen to be both boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is pretty hard to find things gender neutral. But I had no problem using a Dora potty seat for 2 boys a few years ago; they don't seem any worse for wear. Ha! I am super practical. Now we have a Sesame Street seat. I'd prefer a white one or solid color but one of the moms picked this one up at a consignment sale for us so we gladly use it! And it provides conversation fodder for when one is sitting upon the throne!

    I like the strap for hanging! We hang ours too to keep it out of the way when kids aren't here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have picked that one, too! :)

    the gender neutral thing is getting a little out of hand. There will no longer be freshman in college. They will be 'first year' students. ha. If that time was only spent on truly important things! Manhole? hahahaha,...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute seat!! Our poor grands might be gender confused, they have to wear whatever diapers happen to be on hand when needed!! Ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your white seat with duckies. We have a bright green/multi-colored Elmo one.

    As far as gender-neutral language, well, okay... Who decides this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! I agree! It's very hard to find "gender neutral" stuff! I had one boy & 3 girls and had the same issues if I wanted to "make stuff last"! It's all about the $$$ to the companies unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did find a cute seat, it's very sad that gender neutral is such a big thing in the media. God made men and women, period. Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never even thought of these things...I guess because I don't have little ones around at this time in my life.

    I just saw your comment on my blog where it said you're not going to be around for awhile starting Wed. because you'll be crazy-busy. Hope everything is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I could have found a seat like this. I settled on a Thomas the Train seat which worked for both my granddaughter and grandson. They no longer need it.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!