Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Breakfast room turned kitchen wing- full reveal

Our  home has a normal size kitchen and 2 eating areas.
We have had both set up with dining tables and they looked pretty that way
but it was just not functioning for us.

Just 2 of us live in this home but we have lots of company and serve lots of meals
so,  we have changed the breakfast area from a dining area
into an extension of kitchen space.
We did not do any major construction- just adding some pieces of furniture and moving appliances.  

it started when added this Coffee Bar to the kitchen.  We put it in the space where the fridge originally was and moved the fridge over into the breakfast room.  
We are still so happy with the coffee bar.  Having all the coffee makers in one spot frees up lots of work space in the kitchen.  
the breakfast area
it has a big fridge, a chest freezer and a smaller fridge.
The white armoire was bought about 10 years ago for our daughter's bedroom.
Putting the toaster oven and bread machine on top of the armoire frees up even more counter top space in the kitchen.
It also adds lots of storage.  


The toy kitchen- just on the other side of my kitchen sink
the grands really like playing here and I can see them if I am cooking.

this breakfast area has very pretty bay windows
and I would prefer they were not covered up but I am so enjoying the extra kitchen  space.

my husband built this little bookshelf way back when we lived aboard Camp Pendleton- about 1989.
My cookbooks just fit on it
along with a few Longaberger baskets.  

another oldie but very special.
my son made this from a coat hanger- I think he was about 12 years old when he made it.
he is 31 now 



We spent almost nothing on this change- just the money on the coffee bar.
One of my goals for 2013 is make this home work for us with a little redecorating and rearranging.
Getting this room done makes our home much more functional and I am really happy to have it done.


linking to

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes after you live with a home for a while...you just know how to make the space more livable!
    I think the coffee bar is nice. I like the paper in the drawers.
    ...I like the Longaberger Baskets too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of space! I would love to blow out a wall in our kitchen to open to the family room but the price is way to high!! Having the grands kitchen rtight with you would be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job making your space work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you did! That really extends the work space a lot and makes me want to reconsider my own kitchen/breakfast area. This time of year it is so cold in the breakfast area that we have never enjoyed eating there. Come summer it can be too warm as the area has windows facing north and east. I'd like to set it up as a sitting area but John likes to use that spot as his dump station...I shall have to really think this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! Bigger kitchen is always nice! I love all the windows you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever works for you and your hubby is all that really matters. The windows are really pretty with the toppers and shutters.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by to visit me! 2 houses...well my cousins help me clean etc. at the other house..it is more like a family home. But being there one long weekend a month means I do not get done things done at home. Hope your new arrangement works out well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by to visit me! 2 houses...well my cousins help me clean etc. at the other house..it is more like a family home. But being there one long weekend a month means I do not get done things done at home. Hope your new arrangement works out well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even the smallest change can make
    a room more functional and having
    your kitchen work for you is a big
    deal...
    Was so nice of you to stop by and
    comment on my blog..
    Thank you
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like the extended kitchen, and the windows make it so bright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks very nice and workable, Rhonda. This had to have opened up your kitchen a great deal. I know what you mean about putting things in front of windows but it seems you did work it out well to keep a lot of light still coming in. I like those curtains too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a great idea to create a space you need and will definitely use!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!