Welcome!

Make, Do and Mend


The cyber-diary of what this homemaker makes, does and sometimes mends.
My motto is "if you do stuff, stuff gets done"

Monday, April 8, 2013

Smaller stamp books. :(

I had 4 envelopes to mail today. 2 had greeting cards and all had different amounts of photos in them. I did not have enough stamps at home to even guess at their weight and add stamps.
So, I went to the Post Office to get them metered correctly.
While I was there, I thought I might as well buy a couple of books of stamps. When I got to my car, I realized the new stamp books have been downsized.
As far as I can remember, stamp books were always 20 count.
Now they are just 18.
Each book cost $8.28, making each stamp 46 cents.


2 books of stamps
18 stamps in each one

but they are not really books anymore either!  


a book at home,  that did have 20.  


Looking at my receipt,  I am glad I had all those envelopes weighed.
If I had guessed and just added some stamps,  I would of added too many and these would of  ended up being $2 or so more to mail.

The line at the Post Office was not too long and the worker was friendly too.

linking up to
Tweak it Tuesday 
at the Cozy Little House

9 comments:

  1. What?? Say it isn't so! Where will it ever end? I am getting low on stamps so now wish I had bought some 'books' earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?? That's not good! I still have a book almost full but I will run out pretty quickly :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our tiny post office still has the book of 20 Forever stamps but probably not for long. My husband picked up the last book we bought and told me the price had gone up. It just shows the price on everything is going up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sure is going up in price, and you get less. I remember when fabric was a good 45" wide, now its down to 42-43". My mom retired from the PO and over the years gave us all 'special' stamps that I am seriously thinking of using. Why hoard stamps with the price constantly going up?
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. It cost almost double that to mail a letter here in Canada. I think it's ridiculous to have to pay so much...but it is only going to get worse, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always add too much postage too! My postage scale broke and I haven't found a replacement yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very interesting. I wonder if you can still get the 100 ct. rolls of Forever stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the sneakies! That change must have happened very recently or my post office is just passing out the old ones still.

    Interesting side note. I always thought mail was affordable in the past but now I discover that the reason many letters were not sent home by pioneers was that it could cost $1.50 or more to mail letters way way back then. Sort of like long distance calls getting cheaper as times became more modern but an old magazine from the 1940's promotes long distance at $1.25 for three minutes.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you came for a visit today! To answer your question or to reply to you, I will do them here with the comments.

your comments are very much appreciated!